If you are interested in volunteering, Sign up here for 2017 volunteers.
In order to have the competition run smoothly on competition day at least 100 trained volunteers are needed! Volunteers fill a number of positions: Moderators (read questions and maintain pace of the game), Science Judges (address any challenges to the content of the questions and answers), Rules Judges (oversee competition rules), Score Keepers, Time Keepers, Runners, Question Graders, Set-up and Clean-up folks and general help during the event. For information on the different roles for Sea Lion Bowl officials please see the volunteer page.
Why Volunteer? You will be inspired by the academic excellence of amazing young people, feel great about helping to ensure a successful competition, get to work with other ocean science enthusiasts, and receive your very own Sea Lion Bowl T-Shirt!
Potential volunteers should plan to attend at least one training, ideally including a team practice session, to get the best feel for the actual competition.
Volunteer Training Sessions
We hold sessions at Stanford, in San Francisco at the National Marine Sanctuary Office in the Presidio, in the Monterey Bay area at Hopkins Marine Station, and in the East Bay at UC Berkeley.
- Tuesday, November 29, 2016 @ 5:30-7:30 pm, Stanford Jen Hsun Huang Engineering Center, room 305
- Wednesday, November 30, 2016 @ 5:30-7:30 pm, Valley Life Sciences Building, UC Berkeley, room 2063
- Tuesday, December 6, 2016 @ 12:00-2:00 pm, Stanford Jen Hsun Huang Engineering Center, room 305
Wednesday, December 7, 2016 @ 5:30-7:30 pm San Francisco National Marine Sanctuary Office, upstairs conference room
- Saturday, December 10, 2016 @ 10:00 am – 12:00 pm training & 1 – 3 pm scrimmage, Stanford Jen Hsun Huang Engineering Center, room 305
Monday, December 12, 2016 @ 5:30 – 7:30 pm, Hopkins Marine Station; Pacific Grove, Agassiz Building, room 11. (cancelled)
- Tuesday, January 10, 2017 @ 5:30-7:30 pm, Stanford Jen Hsun Huang Engineering Center, room 305
- Saturday, January 14, 2017 @ 10:00 am – 12:00 pm training & 1 – 3 pm scrimmage, Stanford Jen Hsun Huang Engineering Center, room 305
- For Experienced Volunteers only – Virtual Training on Thursday, January 5, 2017 @ 3:00 pm or 7:00 pm